Can I sue my car insurance company (Farmers) for not disclosing a fee that they were charging on my premium?

Las Vegas, NV |

7 yrs ago a guy I dated in college for 3 mo,who drove my car and hit a pole. He claimed he would pay for it but didn't. I didn't have the money to pay, so I filed a claim. My insurance made me sign a Restricted Driver form saying I wouldn't allow the idiot to drive my car again, which I signed, and he's been listed on my policy as a restricted driver ever since. I had no idea I was being charged ALL THIS TIME for having him listed as a restricted driver until a week ago when I called in to have his named removed bc I was sick of seeing it on my policy. I was credited $81.63 and when I figured out they had been charging me I called to complain bc nowhere on my policy breakdown of premiums does it state that there has been a fee for a restricted driver. They won't refund me. What can I do?

My policy did not show him as "covered" it showed him as restricted. And I had to sign a form stating I would never allow him to drive my car again, which is why I thought his name was showing up on my policy as a restricted driver. In my breakdown of premiums, under the title of "other" there is no fee listed which I assume a restricted driver would be listed there if they were charging me for it. SO, there was absolutely no way for me to know that I was being charged for having a restricted driver on my policy. The point to my question I posted was that I thought there were laws relating to insurance premiums having to show the customer what they are being charged for, which in this case I clearly was not shown I was being charged for having a restricted driver. (And I've paid at least $1,148 for this over the past 7 yrs)

1. Why would they refund this?

As you stated, he was listed there on the policy until "you got sick of seeing it."

Your policy showed the coverage, and had the price. You had the coverage.

On top of that, the amounts involved would hardly justify the expenses of suing . . .

2. I agree with my colleague, the amount is so small that even if you were entitled to a refund (which you arguably wouldn't be since you had the coverage), it wouldn't be worth your time or effort to bring an action against them to get the money back. Based on the facts you provided, the coverage was listed so you would likely be held to have had knowledge that you were being charged for it. It is a good argument for having a regular review with your insurance agent to verify that the coverage you have is needed and appropriate.

Disclaimer If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney. The answers to questions submitted on this site do not constitute a solicitation or the provision of legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, the answers provided should not be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. You should always consult a suitably qualified attorney regarding any specific legal problem or matter. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on this response and disclaims all liability in respect to such information. The response to your question is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not constitute legal advice. No information you provide through this website is protected by attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship can only be created by the mutual assent of both parties and only after a consultation. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd cannot agree to be retained as counsel until a conflict-of-interest check is completed and a written engagement and fee agreement provided by The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd is signed. If you choose to email me, do not include any confidential, secret or otherwise sensitive information concerning any potential or actual legal matter in the email transmission. Unsolicited emails do not create an attorney-client relationship and confidential or secret information included in such emails cannot be protected from disclosure. I am only authorized to practice law in the jurisdictions in which I have been properly licensed. I am not certified by any state's or jurisdiction's board of legal specialization; nor certified as an "expert" or "specialist" pursuant to any authority governing the practice of law. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd does not through this site seek to represent anyone in a jurisdiction where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that jurisdiction.

Business topics