Can i sue my boss for giving away personal information to other co workers

Pittsburgh, PA |

I told my boss about personal information going on in my life and he told some of my co workers without any of my permission.

1. Can you sue? Absolutely.

Will you win? Doubt it.

No duty to keep your personal information in your life a secret--it may be bad form, poor managerial skills, or a violation of some company rule--but there is no employer-employee confidentiality privilige like attorney-client or doctor-patient.

No damages or harm claimed.

I don't see a tort or contractual issue either.

That said, I am NOT a PA lawyer. Have a chat with a PA employment attorney just to put your mind at ease. Best of luck to you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. There is no confidentiality between an employer and employee unless it is spelled out in a contract. If the information was false or misleading you may have a cause of action.

3. Based on your facts you would probably not be successful in a suit against your employer for giving out what you consider personal information. Your behavioral issues are not covered under the confidential records provisions governing a persons personnel file. short of showing actual damage from his loose lips it really looks like you do not have a case worth pursuing

Civil rights topics