Can I sue my borough if the house next door has been condemned for years and it has burnt down and I have damage to my house?

Asked about 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I have been contacting my borough, police department, council members, mayor, fire marshal about the abandoned house next door for years. The house has been broken into hundreds of times. I have had mice, rats and a bat in my house and could never get the borough to do anything. I have been on record for years about this. I have been afraid that someone would break in and burnt he house down and my biggest fear happened on December 7, 2013 and someone set in on fire. I am lucky to get out of my house as my neighbor saw the smoke and got me out. I have damage to my house and had to be out of it for days. This house was to be tore down years ago by the borough but they did not take care of this. Also, the mortgage company owns the house. The sheriffs dept said to send a letter of intent.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Emily S. Gomez

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I believe you posted this question twice. Please see my response at your other posting.

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Defective housing

Defective housing is a building that has health or safety issues, often related to its design or materials used in construction, that make it risky to live in.

Christina L Haring-Larson

Let the Buyer Beware

A recent decision by the Washington Court of Appeals in Douglas v. Visser, on February 25, 2013, held that a buyer of a home has a strict duty to make further inquiries of a seller and a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,780 answers this week

3,414 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,780 answers this week

3,414 attorneys answering