Can I sue my apartment for negligence?

Asked 12 months ago - Redondo Beach, CA

A couple months ago I had two pieces of mail with checks stolen from the outgoing mail at my apartment. This resulted in someone obtaining my account number and stealing some funds. The apartment security cameras were down, so no luck on obtaining video of the thief. Recently, I had a package stolen that was delivered. It had 300+ worth of content plus $141 to ship. The cameras are still down! The apartment advertises security cameras, but they have been broken for months. I made them aware of original situation when the checks were stolen. I want to find out who's stealing from me, but I can view the security footage!! Do I have any recourse? Can I do anything since they advertise this security feature of the property and it's BS?

1. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

1

Answered . The answer is depends.
    from one hand You need to notify in writing your landlord advise him for the situation and ask him to fix the cameras.From the other hand If you live in an area with alot of crime and your landlord knows that and exposes you to this criminal acts by not maintaining the cameras in good working condition you can sue and get damages.