Can I sue my apartment complex if they prevent me from purchasing a home?

Richmond, VA |

My former apartment complex gave me a bad reference and it may stop me from closing on my home. I have never been late on rent. They claim I owe 1700 dollars for damages done to the apartment when I moved. I would just pay the charge but the collection department for the apartment has no record of the bill because the apartment complex hasn't submitted the bill to collections department. What can I do?

1. Doubt it, at least not on the facts you reported. The LL did not prevent you from purchasing a home--your overall record was not sufficient to overcome whatever it was that the LL reported.

If you did damage that you admit to (and in your post you seem to agree that you did do damage), and still owe the LL $1700, were you expecting they were going to provide you a good reference?

Recommend you work with the LL to clear up the bill and then reapply with a different mortgage company.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Landlord-tenant topics