Can i sue my apartment complex for having fake cameras and not recording the accident?

Hyannis, MA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

last night my car was damaged by another vehicle on a parking lot of apartment complex i live at. The building is equipped with surveillance cameras but they turned out to be fake and the record has never been done. Though, the sign on a building says " This property is protected by surveillance cameras". My point is, If the cameras were on i could identify the violator by recognizing the car or licence plate number. My lease contract doesn't have any mention regarding parking lot security.

Probably not. It is not uncommon for buildings to use fake cameras.

Not a chance, sorry.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once.

You could sue anyone. Could you win this particular one. Nope.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

No.

No liability unless contractual. Did they promise you cameras? Did you know they were dummies?

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

You do not have a valid claim.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes