Skip to main content

Can I sue major telecom company for intentional and fraudulently porting out my personal cell phone number?

Miami, FL |

I had a contact within our industry who wasn't happy about a business related deal. This individual has some high up connections in one of the main "big 4" cell phone carrier's management.

My wife and I woke up to having no cell phone service. Upon calling the carrier, we we're told our numbers had been ported out and were in this business colleagues company name. The account was in our personal names.

CS escalated to fraud division. CS said they're unsure how someone bypassed mandatory security that allow authorization to take place.

Took a few days to get our numbers back. Ex-Client called and said he knew the highest security executive in the company and that we should be "lucky" if it doesn't happen again.

The carrier offered $800 credit to account but I feel violated!

Attorney Answers 2


This is not a civil rights case. Civil rights are constitutional rights. The government is restrained by our Constitution, not private businesses (unless there is "entanglement," and here, there doesn't appear to be any government nexus).

You appear to have been made whole by the $800 credit, and I believe you have a very limited, if any, cause-of-action. My opinion is--and other attorneys may disagree--that this is a case that would be expensive to prosecute and have very little chance of success.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


I agree with you, Christoper. I think $800 is a fair settlement and don't see you getting more. This looks like the action of one person and the company fixed the problem as quickly as it could. Even figuring out who the individual is who caused the change would be difficult and expensive, versus any settlement or verdict you are likely to get. That is assuming it is possible to identify the person. Then you would have to prove it wasn't some kind of mistake. It would be a very complicated case. Proving the involvement of the individual who has it out for you would be even more difficult.

I do understand you feeling violated, and I would be upset too. But sometimes it is best to just shrug and walk away.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Mark as helpful

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics