Can I sue in the limited jurisdiction of the Superior Court for under $1,000?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monrovia, CA

I have what I believe is a good case against an airline (no per-emption issue) for breach of contract and negligence. The airline let someone use a credit I had without my permission.

My question isn't about if I will win/lose, but if I must go to Small Claims Court due to the amount.

I know even if I win, I may not be able to get my costs back, but I need the discovery allowed in Superior Court.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, if you desire to conduct pre-trial discovery, you can sue in limited jurisdiction superior court. You are not restricted to file only in small claims court, even if your claim is for under $1,000.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Kamala Maddipoti

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is your call to choose between civil court (regular) v. small claims. But the process is simple for small claims and it will be easy to explain in case of small claims.

    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only. It doesn't constitute legal advice. This answer doesn't... more
  3. Adrienne Patricia Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree. Superior Court limited civil is what you would file if you wish to conduct discovery. However, the complaint cost is $400+ which is almost half of what you are suing for. Are you sure you want to spend more money to litigate than you are likely to be awarded? You could try a letter from an attorney first to see if that can resolve the issue at a more reasonable cost. Good luck.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,191 answers this week

2,658 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,191 answers this week

2,658 attorneys answering