Can I sue in the limited jurisdiction of the Superior Court for under $1,000?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monrovia, CA

I have what I believe is a good case against an airline (no per-emption issue) for breach of contract and negligence. The airline let someone use a credit I had without my permission.

My question isn't about if I will win/lose, but if I must go to Small Claims Court due to the amount.

I know even if I win, I may not be able to get my costs back, but I need the discovery allowed in Superior Court.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, if you desire to conduct pre-trial discovery, you can sue in limited jurisdiction superior court. You are not restricted to file only in small claims court, even if your claim is for under $1,000.

2. Kamala Maddipoti

11

Answered . It is your call to choose between civil court (regular) v. small claims. But the process is simple for small claims and it will be easy to explain in case of small claims.

3. Adrienne Patricia Allen

8

Answered . I agree. Superior Court limited civil is what you would file if you wish to conduct discovery. However, the complaint cost is $400+ which is almost half of what you are suing for. Are you sure you want to spend more money to litigate than you are likely to be awarded? You could try a letter from an attorney first to see if that can resolve the issue at a more reasonable cost. Good luck.