Can I sue if I was hit by an ambulance at an intersection. Now have been in a nursing home for 14 months

Asked over 1 year ago - Indian Trail, NC

Stopped at red light, light turns green, ambulance came from around an 18 wheeler through the intersection hit driver door pushing my vehicle 25 feet and permantly disabling me to live in a nursing home for the rest of my life.

1. John Locke Milholland IV

7

Best Answer

Answered . Avvo Email - Have no legal fearYou “may” be able to, it will entirely depend on the details of the facts surrounding the accident. Claims against emergency respondes are extremely tough for a i of legal reasons. If you would like a consultation, you are welcome to contact me.
    ~Locke
    ***DISCLAIMER***
    This response is general legal information. To the extent it is advice, it applies only to North Carolina, the state where Locke Milholland is licensed to practice law. The response applies only to the limited facts presented. Additional or different facts may result in a different response. This response does not and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship.
    www.lockemilholland.com/

2. Timothy Shawn Howard

6

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Millholland. These types of cases are very difficult because there are statutes and doctrines in place that protect emergency responders and county governments. You should not simply assume that you don't have a claim though. If you're injuries were serious enough to put you in an assisted living facility, there are a number of great attorneys in this state that would be willing to investigate a bit and see if they could help you out. That's our job as personal injury attorneys. If you'd like to talk more, I'd be happy to speak with you.

T. Shawn Howard
    www.maginnislaw.com
    (919) 480-8526

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

1

Answered . Please call a local and qualified personal injury NOW! Good luck.

4. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

6

1

Answered . Yes. You need to hire a personal injury lawyer. In New York emergency vehicles engaged in emergency operation get the benefit of a reckless standard I stead of a negligence standard which is a lesser standard and easier to establish. The case will depend on the law in your state and the facts of accident.

5. George Costas Andriotis

5

1

Answered . Consult an attorney ASAP as you definitely have a valid claim and need to preserve and protect your legal rights and any possible remedies for recovery.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

4

1

Answered . Perhaps. Retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Andrew Daniel Myers

3

1

Answered . Consult wiith an attorney right away because you face not only the obvious liability issues but also a number of procedural issues. I am not licensed in your state, but this is a national forum so I will tell you that I have prevailed against the operators of emergency vehicles who took liberties with their limited exceptions to the rules of the road.

In one case an EMT driver drove out of a business lot directly into the path of my client who was simply driving straight forward on a state highway. We had to take it up to the appellate level, but we won.

8. Lloyd T. Kelso

Pro

1

Answered . This case is complicated by the doctrine of contributory negligence. The question will be whether you heard or saw, or would a reasonable person in your position been able to hear or see the emergency vehicle before entering the intersection. There are standards that emergency vehicles must follow. Need an attorney to help you determine whether the emergency vehicle driver was negligent. If you are determined to be just 1% negligent then your claim will be barred. You need a competent trial lawyer to assist you with this case.

The author of this opinion is licensed only in the states of NC, SC and TN.
  9. Kevin Coluccio

1

1

Answered . As suggested by many - contact and consult with a qualified personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

10. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.