Skip to main content

Can I sue if I was assualted at a corporate function.

Ludington, MI |

I was assaulted by two vice presidents, two operations managers at a corporate function i was kicked in the face and held down and punched in the face twice. I have a metal plate in my jaw from a previous accident and 6 post and crowns. 3 of which are broken and and I have severe lacerations on my lips and displace cartlidge on my nose.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. It does not matter where you were beaten. You can sue the people who injured you. Any of the people who hit or kicked you can be held responsible to pay for your injuries, including pain and suffering. Also, most states allow you to ask for punitive damages in addition to the other damages.
    Your question might be asking whether you can sue the corporation for what the vice presidents and managers did. There are many questions to ask before that question can be answered. The attackers would have to be deemed acting within the scope of their employment and on behalf of the corporation. Many times it is better to sue the person rather than the corporation. It is always a question of how the damages will be paid if you win your case. Many insurance policies have an exclusion for intentional or illegal acts, and only cover accidents and negligence. Many corporations have little in the way of assets to pay a judgment. On the other hand, the persons may have very little money. All of these considerations should be discussed with an experienced local attorney.

    I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question. I want to confirm that no attorney-client relationship has been created between our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can change the law in ways that may affect the strength of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm cannot properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I would advise you to retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible.

  2. It sounds like there could easily be criminal as well as civil damages. You should definitely consult with an attorney regarding how best to proceed. Did you file a police report?

    If your question is whether you can sue the corporation for your damages, then the answer is very likely NO. There is usually not liability for the criminal acts of others. More facts are needed about what took place, however, and you will need an attorney to pursue a civil lawsuit.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  3. Yes you can sue...officers ofma corporation are held to a higher standard and depending on other circumstances that relate tomthe why they did this to you will in all likelihood have the corporation's insurance carrier orderly some money to you to get a release from the claimant let you pursue the perpetrators personally as well. Go sit with a personal injury lawyer whomcan best gauge the angles of attack. Thenactions could be retaliatory in nature for something they perceivenyoundidnto hurt tencompany and it that was true then it would not be too difficult to connect their actions as being business related and motivated by the employer's position and needs that you may have somehow damged-- who know the real facts but that is what a consultation with an experienced attorney will help you sort out what is relevant and actionable vs. What is unimportant.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

  4. Yes

    If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.