Can I sue former employer for not providing health benefits when verbally agreed upon?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

8 years ago, my former employer had a standing policy of not giving benefits until the employee reaches 1 year.
I stated I would not sign on to work for them unless I was given benefits.
They verbally agreed but never put it in writing.
7 months on the job and I was in a car accident on way to work.
My compnany stated they never verbally agreed to giving me benefits, and since I did not have insurance, I had to pay $46,000 out of my own pocket. The last eight years have been a nightmare.

1. David Andrew Mallen

4

Answered . I am sorry I cannot come up with a clever theory, but I think 8 years is too long to act. Unless someone else has a novel theory, I think your claims have been lost to the statute of limitations that prevents bringing "stale claims."

David Mallen

2. Neville Francis Fernandes

2

Answered . Yes, unfortunately the statute of limitations has run. I am not sure what other alternatives you have. You may want to write a complaint to the CA Department of Insurance. I am not sure how much that will help though.

3. Neil Pedersen

2

Answered . Why wait so long to look into this? You are way past the time period for filing a lawsuit at this point.

Good luck to you.