Can I sue for wrongful termination?

Asked over 2 years ago - Grand Prairie, TX

I live in Texas and I am PAINFULLY aware that Texas is an At-Will state. 3 months ago, I was written up by my employer for productivity issues and was told I needed to "improve" the productivity or further disciplinary action would be taken. Over the next 2-3 months, that activity did indeed improve--dramatically. However, less than 2 weeks ago, they terminated me stating it hadn't improved. However, I have email documenting that it had. When I asked for documentation from them showing that I HAD not improved, they could not provide it. Do I have any grounds to sue?

1. Paul Y. Lee

Answered . Not unless you can show that the real reason you were terminated was for discriminatory reasons, such as discrimination based on race, gender, age, religion, national origin or sexual orientation, or unless you were discharged in retaliation for refusing to comply with an illegal directive of the employer, or for engaging in certain other protected activities, or if the employment contract or collective bargaining agreement provides that the employee can only be discharged for cause. Absent these factors, Texas' at will employment law dictates that you do not have a wrongful termination claim. You may wish to consullt with a Texas employee rights attorney.