Can I sue for wrongful termination?

Asked over 1 year ago - Valencia, CA

I recently had been fired from Ralph's for stealing from the company. ex: water, snacks, etc. I had never gotten a detention in school, let alone stolen anything from anyone. They said they had proof on security cameras, but I was never shown. I told them if I had ever taken anything from the store I would have had every intention of paying for it, and must have forgot. I never slipped items into my purse or tried to hide anything from anyone. Nothing was ever intentional. Another reason for my firing was "stealing" sample cookies. These cookies are clearly samples and I was probably one of 10 employees who sampled these regularly. This may relate: I was sexually harassed by an employee who has harassed before. After his suspension he was transferred to a diff. department, not fired.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

1

Answered . Nothing in these facts raises any issues that would support a sound case for wrongful termination. Just what you admit to here would likely be held to be a sufficient basis for the employer's decision.

2. Brad S Kane

Pro

3

Answered . You have received two (2) excellent answers. I wish to add a comment addressing the sexual harassment complaint relationship to a wrongful termination claim.

In California, an employer may take an adverse employment action for any reason or no reason, but may not do so if the adverse employment action is motivated by a prohibited reason such as discrimination against a protected class like race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, disability, etc. or opposing illegal conduct. Illegal conduct would include sexual harassment. However, from your description, it appears that your employer acted appropriately by suspending and transferring the employee who sexually harassed you. In order to have a wrongful termination claim, you would have to prove that the termination was substantially motivated by your report of sexual harassment. If your complaint was very close in time to your termination, a court might draw an inference that they were related. However, your employer would argue that you would have been terminated regardless for theft.

3. Neil Pedersen

2

Answered . Generally the law is that the employer can terminate or discipline an at will employee for any reason, or even for no reason, as long as it is not an unlawful reason. Terminating you for believing, even erroneously, that you engaged in theft, or even just taking something and not paying for it unintentionally, is sufficient reason to terminate you.

If you were terminated because you made a report of sexual harassment, you would have a claim. However, proving that it was the reporting and not the theft allegation may be a problem. If you prove you were terminated for both, in other words, terminated for a lawful reason and an unlawful one - a mixed motive - you would still get no damages in a lawsuit.

Unless you are in management, as a Ralph's employee you are probably a member of a union. You probably have greater procedural rights related to termination as a union member than as a member of the general public. You should immediately contact your union representative and see if there is a way to challenge the termination using those channels.

If you believe you can prove you were terminated because engaged in protected conduct (i.e. reporting sexual harassment) then you should locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to www.cela.org, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Good luck to you.

4. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

2

Answered . As Ms. McCall explained, there is no obvious wrongful termination claim arising from the facts you describe. Employment in California (and in most states) is at-will, meaning that an employer may terminate an employee at any time and for any reason or no reason. There are some exceptions, however. An employer may not terminate an employee on account of a protected characteristic (e.g., race, religion) or for engaging in protected activity (e.g., filing a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). Otherwise, employers have very broad discretion to manage their work force.