Can i sue for whiplash, I havent missed work or paid any medical bills,but the pain,dizzyness,nause, is unbearable

Asked over 2 years ago - Rochester, NY

I was at a red light and a young girl rearend me. She states she was looking at the radio.Her car was totalled.

1. Craig A. Post

2

Answered . The simple answer is yes, you can sue. The law related to injuries sustained in motor vehicle accidents in NY requires that the injury be deemed "serious" within he meaning of insurance regulations. For a soft tissue injury this requires objective medical proof of injury that significantly impacted you in at least one of several enumerated ways. It is very important that your injuries are medically documented in order to have any chance of successfully prosecuting a claim.

2. Shawn E Mcdermott

1

Answered . Simple answer is: yes, based on your description of the collision, you likely have a viable claim against the responsible (negligent) other driver. Missing work is not required before you have such a claim. However, if you have not sought medical treatment of any kind, your claim for bodily injury will be difficult to prove. The bigger question may be whether you should seek medical care or not. If you are suffering from severe or nagging injuries, you should seek the advice of a medical professional. If you have Medical Payments coverage on your auto policy, submit those expenses to your insurance carrier. If not, try your health insurance carrier. If no coverage there, you may need to find a physician who will treat you and be willing to accept payment later.

For a better understanding of your rights, you should contact an attorney in your area specializing in personal injury/auto accident cases.

3. Raymond Scott Costantino

Pro

1

Answered . If you are injured you should seek medical attention. Without a diagnosis of an accident related injury you should not expect much in the way of a settlement.

4. Stephen J. Isaacs

1

Answered . Generally, yes. However, in any negligence action, you need to prove duty, breach, causation, and damages. In this case, you will need to show that the car collision caused the whiplash, and be able to prove the damages. In whiplash cases, which I prefer to call a cervical acceleration - deceleration injury, you will need to provide medical testimony of the injury.

You need to consult with a local personal injury attorney who is familiar with the local rules and statutes pertaining to car collisions.

5. Marc Sean Hurd

1

Answered . The short answer is yes. I think that the main concern should be for addressing your injuries and seeking the medical attention that you appear to need. Dizziness and nausea may be signs of a potentially more serious condition than just "whiplash." If you have health insurance, take advantage of it and get the treatment needed to address the symptoms. If no health coverage, then look to whether you have "med pay" coverage under your own auto insurance policy. If that still doesn't work, check with a local PI specialist. He or she may be able to direct you to a qualified doctor that is willing to treat you on a lien.