Can I sue for slip and fall in a store parking lot?

Lancaster, NY |

On Wednesday I was walking to my truck and slipped on a patch of ice in a parking lot. The parking lot contains a tops market express, a Tim hortons and a pizzeria. Due to the holiday Thursday thanksgiving I went to the urgent care on Friday. Upon leaving I was told I had a sprained wrist and she told me to lay low for 1to4 weeks. Is this something I can sue for?

It depends. If this is a sprained wrist that goes away fairly quickly, it's probably not worth your time and the attorney's time to pursue a cause of action. If it turns out to be more serious, you may want to consider consulting a qualified personal injury attorney in your area, you can find one on Avvo. If it continues to give you problems, try to see a good orthopedist who specializes in the hand.

Every situation is different, and good legal advice cannot be given based on a short question without an exploration of all the facts that may bear on your situation. This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established.

Ice cases are tough. If nothing more than an ER visit I would say forget about it.

Consult with a personal injury attorney right away.

We can be reached at 215-545-2201. Our firm has lawyers licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and in the Federal Courts of those states. The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Yes

Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" too l to find a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

Unless you have surgery, permanent injury, or prolonged pain the case is not worth a lawyer's time. There is no clear negligence and no monetary damages to make it a viable case for most personal injury lawyers. They cannot be expected to remove all snow and ice from a parking lot.

There is no negligence here. Parking lots have ice in the winter, and it's impossible for the owners to keep them ice-free at all times. You can't sue (and win) because you didn't watch where you were walking and slipped on ice.

Typically if you have limited injury and you are making a claim about slipping on ice in a parking lot you may have a difficult time finding an attorney who will take your case. But use the AVVO site and discuss with a personal injury attorney before you give a statement. Also stores and owners of parking lots of medical payments coverage that can pay usually 5 -10K of your medical bills-keep in mind this does not mean they were negligent in any way.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury