Can I sue for slip and fall?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

Today on my way to the train station, I slipped on ice in front of a house and hurt my wrist. It feels like a sprain but I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow to have it checked. Can I sue for the slip and medical bills or would it be considered too minor?

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

14

Answered . Go to the doctor now. Report the incident to the local precinct. Have someone take photos. Contact witnesses. That's for starters.

2. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

13

Answered . You could sue, however, whether the amount you recover would make the action worthwhile is another question.

3. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

12

Answered . You can sue. The question becomes if it is worth the time effort and expense. With a sprained wrist I would say no. Best of luck.

4. Gregory Scott Gennarelli

Pro

11

Answered . The extent of your injury will determine whether its worthwhile to pursue. If you haven't done so, take pictures immediately before the condition changes. Then, consult with a lawyer.

5. Scott Douglas Camassar

8

Answered . Important to know too whether this is private property or city property. There are short notice periods for municipalities

6. Yefim Rubinov

4

Answered . You may and should sue!

7. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

4

Answered . In New York City, the owners of buildings are responsible for the removal of snow and ice on the sidewalks adjacent to their property. To make these walkways safe for pedestrians, building owners must take precautions such as shoveling snow, chipping away ice, and laying down gravel and salt when necessary.
    Weather conditions in New York City can make walking on sidewalks, crosswalks, parking lots and other areas a dangerous activity. It is the responsibility of the property owners to keep their walkways free of hazardous snow and ice. When they fail to do so, it can result in serious, life-changing injuries.

Pro

5

Answered . Get proper medical attention and perhaps an MRI. Luckily, several of the lawyers in your state above have offered to help, so best bet is to give one of them a call. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  9. Gary Phillip Heslin

Pro

4

Answered . Let me preface this by saying that I handle slip and fall accident cases in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area. You would be able to get more specific information from a New York attorney. Let me give you some general information from a Philadelphia slip and fall accident perspective.
    1. Just because you slipped and fell on ice doesn't mean the homeowner is responsible. You would have to give more facts to a lawyer who is experienced in slip and fall accidents. For instance, if it was still raining or snowing or some combination thereof at the time you fell OR perhaps a few hours before you fell, the homeowner may not be responsible.
    2. You didn't say whether you had insurance to pay for your medical bills. If you don't, you might be able to get your medical bills paid without actually "suing". In this area, most homeowner's insurance policies have medical coverage included in them. Basically, the homeowner's insurance will pay medical bills, up to the amount of the coverage, for anyone who was injured on the homeowner's property. It doesn't matter if the homeowner was at fault or not. Of course you would need to contact the homeowner for their insurance information.
    3. Hopefully you got pictures of what caused you to fall. However, even if you didn't, did some current pictures. Go to the doctor or hospital, so that you can put your injuries and the cause of your injuries, "on record". Contact a local lawyer. Most slip and fall lawyers in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area work on a contingency basis. That means the initial consultation is free and if they accept the case, they will only charge you a percentage of the recovery, if they win the case. They will also usually advance the costs of the case. If they do not win, you do not have to pay a fee. I would suggest you identify a local lawyer on this forum and contact him/her ASAP

One or more answers have been taken down.