Skip to main content

Can I sue for Slander, when someone filed a PPO on me, and everything in it is Untrue, and I have witnesses that will testify.

Muskegon, MI |

A PPO was filed on me, and there are 10 untrue statements. This women said I threatened Physical harm, and violence, and threatened to do something to her car? I don't even know what she drives, and that I am driving by her house daily, which is not true. I would never threaten physical harm. I think that people that use the courts to make up stuff, and waste the courts time should have something filed against them such as filing a false police report? This women is upset because she was seeing my husband, we were separated, and we have decided to work things out. We have explicit texts messages from her, and I have documented proof of my whereabouts at all t imes. I have receipts to back up my whereabouts.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. slander lawsuits are very expensive and it is unlikely that you could collect any judgement that you might eventually win. am sure you can find a lawyer that will to take your money and sue this gal until your money runs out. however, you would be throwing good money away and adding stress to your lives. you should ignore her and eventually she will move on. keep your money and spend your time healing the wounds of the seperation. good luck.

  2. I doubt that you would get very far with a lawsuit against this person. Slander is very tricky. Even if you can prove that the person made completely false statements about you knowing that they were false, you have to be able to prove that you were damaged in some way (i.e. lost your job, etc.). Damages are very hard to prove in slander suits and doing so can be very expensive to you. Assuming that you can even get a judgment, you have to ask if this person is even collectable. A million dollar judgment against someone who works part-time for minimum wage isn't actually going to be worth much. However, what you can do is file a motion to terminate the PPO. If the PPO was obtained ex parte (without a hearing) or after a full hearing and less than 14 days have passed since you were served notice, you may ask the court for a hearing to terminate the PPO. If the 14 days have passed, you will have to show good cause. If this person blatantly lied on the PPO forms or in court, that is perjury. However, remember, perjury goes both ways. Good luck.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics