Skip to main content

Can I sue for slander, libel, deformation of character and emotional distress?

Las Vegas, NV |

this is over a period of 2 1/2 years my adolescent child has a history of violence, and verbal manipulation. Does not want to come home with me is in a foster home in another state there is no evidence of anything bad in my home except where police were called because of my child's behavior which police took the child to juvi The grandparents have been trying to obtain custody which I disagree with as suitable, there have multiple domestic violence police reports, due to an unstable mentally medicated grandmother the grandparents have slandered me and provided false information about me making me look bad , which can be proven wrong. I have lost countless nights of sleep and I have lost a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. all due to the grandparents

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can sue, but whether or not you win is a different story entirely. Defamation cases are extremely expensive to pursue. One of the more difficult aspects is proving your damages. Lost sleep is not enough. How was the alleged defamatory information provided to third parties? If you have not done so already, you should make a copy of the publications or if a computer post, screen shot the posts.



the information was provided verbally and to the cps, which was recorded on paper by the social worker along with emails back and forth from the other parent and grandparents. which I can prove was all false.

Richard S. Johnson

Richard S. Johnson


If it is in any way related to a custody matter, your chances of winning decrease substantially. As a general rule, there is no such thing as defamation in litigation. Your situation is slightly different, but it may still be difficult to find an attorney to help you. I am fairly certain you could find one if you are willing to pay by the hour. Your money is probably better spent elsewhere.



the custody is, ive been wanting to use my rights as a parent to get the child mental help, but cps and the grandparents have found a way out of that. I think my childs next move is emancipation. My point is the grandparents meddling in the situation and making it more difficult for me to address and heal the differences my child and I have. Which I am now looking into seeing a doctor for the mental and physical distress this has caused me . As far as the money goes, that's not a problem, I need to know it will be worth it. I think theres a way we can separate this from custody because these peoples motives seem to be more than the childs best interest they have a history of manipulation and there own son my childs father who I am not with does not want them around his two young children he sent me the last email he sent to his parents full of information we can use towards a new case


You can "sue" for just about anything. Prevailing is another story. In my 9 years of practice I have never seen a slander claim prevailed upon in Family Court. Most often it is a claim that perturbs the judge and is seen as a vexatious litigant.



the slander is from the childs family but these people were absent from our lives for 14 years until the last 2 and 1/2 which I can prove they know nothing of me or my home.


Before bringing a claim, one needs to understand the requirements. Here is a bird's eye view of defamation (specifically, slander and libel).

Defamatory language—(i) language diminishing respect, esteem, or goodwill toward P, (ii) of or concerning P (reasonable 3rd party believes language refers to particular P, (iii) publication—intentional or negligent communication to 3rd party, and (iv) Falsity (public concern).

Libel – written, printed or otherwise recorded in permanent form; general damages that compensate P for harm to reputation

Slander – spoken word, gesture, or any form other than libel; special damages required; 3rd party heard comments and acted adversely to P; usually, but not always, economic loss

This is the common law. It will likely vary in Nevada. Contact a local lawyer.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer