Can i sue for sexual harrassment if my boss called me a slut at work and has on multiple occasions made sexual jokes?

Buffalo, NY |

I had pants on at work that were not suitable for work but instead of asking me to change or go home my boss told me i looked like a slut. When i told him how offensive and hurtful that was he responded with, "I know its harsh, but i speak the truth." He has on multiple occasions made sexual jokes directed at me, and has also pulled me in around the waist more than a couple times. I know this cannot be considered professional at a business establishment, so how would i go about reporting this?

You should call an employment lawyer immediately and get a free legal consultation. It sounds like you have legal remedies and its best if you make decisions only after consulting with someone who has the experience to help you address this. While I don't know the particulars of your situation, in my experience, people like your boss do not change their demeaning behavior so their is little hope in going through HR except as a tactical move to put them on notice of your concerns. All of the employment lawyers on Avvo, as far as I can tell, offer this service. Good luck.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Depends on severity of offense, any previous involvement, nature of violation, etc. Go make an appointment to see an attorney experienced in EEOC Sexual Harassment cases and then, in the privacy of their office, you can go over the entire factual history and get sound legal advice. Good luck to you.

This is sexual harassment and you should contact an attorney experienced in employment litigation IMMEDIATELY. Many offices, including my firm, offer a free initial consultation, so you have nothing to lose.

If you don't know an attorney in your area, go to the following website and search:

www.nela.org

Good luck,

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

You will need to find an experienced lawyer to guide you through legal minefields, since you are still employed. Most lawyers will accept your case on a contingency fee -- no recovery no fee.

Bring your employee handbook and any written sexual harassment policies to the lawyer during your free consultation. I agree that Nela.org is a good place to start.

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

If you wore pants that made you look like a slut, then it's not inappropriate to let you know that. If he is making comments that you find offensive, then you need to make sure you bring that to his attention and his superiors if he has them.
Contact your HR department is there is one and file a complaint.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

This is sexual harassment. Depending on the size of the firm you work for, a claim must be filed with the EEOC or the State Division of Human Rights. Most firms will do this on a contingency basis. Although you can do this yourself, i strongly recommend retaining an attorney asap.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

It sounds like you may have viable claims, contact an experienced employment attorney in your area immediately and arrange a free consultation.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Please contact an experienced employment lawyer and schedule a consultation as soon as possible. While it may be possible to sue your employer and your boss for sexual harassment/gender discrimination, the more immediate concern should be reporting the conduct to the company, and having this conduct end.

If this is happening to other people, or other people are witnessing this type of conduct, that’s something to explore as well.

It’s not advisable to go to Human Resources, without first having received a thorough education about your rights from your lawyer. You would be too vulnerable to your rights being trampled upon, otherwise.

Some sexual harassment/gender discrimination victims are afraid of the employer knowing that a lawyer is in the picture; there’s no need to fear that, since lawyers can, when appropriate, ‘ghost’ you on how to vindicate your rights in the workplace.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
212-374-1511

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison