Can i sue for sexual harrassment if my boss called me a slut at work and has on multiple occasions made sexual jokes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Buffalo, NY

I had pants on at work that were not suitable for work but instead of asking me to change or go home my boss told me i looked like a slut. When i told him how offensive and hurtful that was he responded with, "I know its harsh, but i speak the truth." He has on multiple occasions made sexual jokes directed at me, and has also pulled me in around the waist more than a couple times. I know this cannot be considered professional at a business establishment, so how would i go about reporting this?

1. Christopher Quincy Davis

4

1

Answered . You should call an employment lawyer immediately and get a free legal consultation. It sounds like you have legal remedies and its best if you make decisions only after consulting with someone who has the experience to help you address this. While I don't know the particulars of your situation, in my experience, people like your boss do not change their demeaning behavior so their is little hope in going through HR except as a tactical move to put them on notice of your concerns. All of the employment lawyers on Avvo, as far as I can tell, offer this service. Good luck.

2. Ronald Joseph Kim

3

Answered . This is sexual harassment and you should contact an attorney experienced in employment litigation IMMEDIATELY. Many offices, including my firm, offer a free initial consultation, so you have nothing to lose.

If you don't know an attorney in your area, go to the following website and search:

www.nela.org

Good luck,

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.
  3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . This is sexual harassment. Depending on the size of the firm you work for, a claim must be filed with the EEOC or the State Division of Human Rights. Most firms will do this on a contingency basis. Although you can do this yourself, i strongly recommend retaining an attorney asap.

4. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . It sounds like you may have viable claims, contact an experienced employment attorney in your area immediately and arrange a free consultation.

5. Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

Pro

1

Answered . Please contact an experienced employment lawyer and schedule a consultation as soon as possible. While it may be possible to sue your employer and your boss for sexual harassment/gender discrimination, the more immediate concern should be reporting the conduct to the company, and having this conduct end.

If this is happening to other people, or other people are witnessing this type of conduct, that’s something to explore as well.

It’s not advisable to go to Human Resources, without first having received a thorough education about your rights from your lawyer. You would be too vulnerable to your rights being trampled upon, otherwise.

Some sexual harassment/gender discrimination victims are afraid of the employer knowing that a lawyer is in the picture; there’s no need to fear that, since lawyers can, when appropriate, ‘ghost’ you on how to vindicate your rights in the workplace.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
    212-374-1511

6. David Andrew Mallen

2

Answered . You will need to find an experienced lawyer to guide you through legal minefields, since you are still employed. Most lawyers will accept your case on a contingency fee -- no recovery no fee.

Bring your employee handbook and any written sexual harassment policies to the lawyer during your free consultation. I agree that Nela.org is a good place to start.

7. David Andrew Mallen

2

8. John E. Whitaker

1

Answered . If you wore pants that made you look like a slut, then it's not inappropriate to let you know that. If he is making comments that you find offensive, then you need to make sure you bring that to his attention and his superiors if he has them.
    Contact your HR department is there is one and file a complaint.