Skip to main content

Can I sue for sexual harassment charges if the harassment was more verbal than physical?

Flint, MI |

my supervisor has been harassing me over 2 years. He has said inappropriate comments about my pants being too tight and how I was busting out of my pants. He also at one point touched the back of my neck unwarranted in which I felt mortified and uncomfortable. He facebook stalked me.lastly he became agressive and on more than two occasions he badgered me about me gaining weight and how I was losing my hair and that's why I didn't have a boyfriend. as I walked away he followed me into another room and continued to berate me and to call me out of my name and discuss my sexual orientation...Do I have a case?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Not yet. You need to report this behavior to upper management and give them an opportunity to make it stop. If they do, no case. If they don't, or it gets worse, then you have the makings of a case.

  2. Since he is a supervisor, if you have told him to stop, you have probably satisfied the bare bones necessary to have a case. You should however, also report his comments and behavior to the human resource manager or his supervisor, to give them an opportunity to correct the behavior. To be honest, it does not sound to me like it is a 'sexual' harassment case, which Michigan Court's have given a fairly specific definition. I would say that it sounds more to me like 'weight' harassment and/or discrimiantion. This is especially more likely given your comments about sexual orientation. If you would like to talk or receive additional information, please contact my office.

    Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

  3. Not enough information to truthfully answer your question. Depends on severity of offense, any previous involvement, nature of violation, etc. Go make an appointment to see an attorney experienced in EEOC Sexual Harassment cases and then, in the privacy of their office, you can go over the entire factual history and get sound legal advice. Good luck to you.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics