Can I sue for sexual harassment charges if the harassment was more verbal than physical?

Asked about 1 year ago - Flint, MI

my supervisor has been harassing me over 2 years. He has said inappropriate comments about my pants being too tight and how I was busting out of my pants. He also at one point touched the back of my neck unwarranted in which I felt mortified and uncomfortable. He facebook stalked me.lastly he became agressive and on more than two occasions he badgered me about me gaining weight and how I was losing my hair and that's why I didn't have a boyfriend. as I walked away he followed me into another room and continued to berate me and to call me out of my name and discuss my sexual orientation...Do I have a case?

1. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

4

Answered . Since he is a supervisor, if you have told him to stop, you have probably satisfied the bare bones necessary to have a case. You should however, also report his comments and behavior to the human resource manager or his supervisor, to give them an opportunity to correct the behavior. To be honest, it does not sound to me like it is a 'sexual' harassment case, which Michigan Court's have given a fairly specific definition. I would say that it sounds more to me like 'weight' harassment and/or discrimiantion. This is especially more likely given your comments about sexual orientation. If you would like to talk or receive additional information, please contact my office.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

3

Answered . Not yet. You need to report this behavior to upper management and give them an opportunity to make it stop. If they do, no case. If they don't, or it gets worse, then you have the makings of a case.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

2

Answered . Not enough information to truthfully answer your question. Depends on severity of offense, any previous involvement, nature of violation, etc. Go make an appointment to see an attorney experienced in EEOC Sexual Harassment cases and then, in the privacy of their office, you can go over the entire factual history and get sound legal advice. Good luck to you.