Can I sue for retroactive child support?

Newport, TN |

As the non-custodial parent I currently pay child support. However, can I sue for retroactive child support dated back from the time before my ex-spouse was named the custodial parent?

Unless there was a valid support order in effect at the time then I would say no.

Child support obligation stars at the filing of the Petition. If nothing has been filed in the past, you cannot get retroactive child support.

Each state is different when it comes to child support. For example in Florida a party may get up to 24 months back support.

You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

JMP Law, P.A.
Juna M. Pulayya
www.jmplawyer.com
junior@jmplawyer.com

Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about my qualifications and experience. Transmission of the information in this web site is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.