Can I sue for retroactive child support?

Asked over 2 years ago - Newport, TN

As the non-custodial parent I currently pay child support. However, can I sue for retroactive child support dated back from the time before my ex-spouse was named the custodial parent?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unless there was a valid support order in effect at the time then I would say no.

  2. Mechislav Furman

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Child support obligation stars at the filing of the Petition. If nothing has been filed in the past, you cannot get retroactive child support.

  3. Juna Madray Pulayya

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Each state is different when it comes to child support. For example in Florida a party may get up to 24 months back support.

    You should consult a local attorney so he or she can give you a complete legal analysis of your situation.

    JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya

    Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,276 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,276 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering