Can I sue for public forum harrassement and slander or defamation of character.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Spencer, WV

I have had personal attacks on myself and family through public forums such as websites; Topix, Facebbok, and Twitter as well as text or emails. I have had allegations made against that was false. I have developed Angiodema(stress allergy) and Have loss work. Can you help

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A local defamation lawyer in your state would need to subpoena the service provider to ascertain the identity of the person.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Need more specific facts to advise you. Consult a local defamation attorney with more specific facts.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at
  3. Answered . You probably have a number of different options open to you to halt these activities. There could be liability to the posters for cyber-bullying, stalking, invasion of privacy, defamation, etc.

    Contact a lawyer to discuss the situation and devise a strategy. They mayalso advise you to contact the police.
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to... more

Related Topics

E-commerce small business

E-commerce (short for “electronic commerce”) refers to business which is conducted using computer networks, most typically the Internet.

Gregory James Glaser

Start-Up Website Legal Documents

This quick guide will briefly identify some common documents utilized by new online start-ups: Terms of Use You post this document online to cover the terms on which your site users are... more

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,359 answers this week

3,562 attorneys answering