Skip to main content

Can I sue for personal injury ? I experienced defamation of character from my employer after I was terminated wrongfully.

Pensacola, FL |

After being wrongfully terminated, my employer proceeded to state lies to Florida Reemployment, stating that I was abusive and a thief.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You will definitely want to consult with an attorney regarding this matter. Your employer may have a qualified privilege to your claim. An employer has a qualified privilege to make a statements about the activities of its employees arising out of your employment and your on job performance. However, if you can prove that your employer made the statement with actual malice, your employer will lose that qualified privilege. A qualified privilege will defeat an otherwise viable employer defamation claim.

  2. You may have an action for slander or libel. More information is needed; I suggest that you contact a local attorney.

  3. Actually, such statements could be defamatory per se...meaning they are presumed to cause damage. Biggest issue is to decide whether you want to spend the money on a lawyer to prosecute the issue.

  4. Could be, but best to first discuss with a local employment lawyer.

  5. As recommended, consult with an attorney. While you may have a claim, the tough part may be justifying the expense to pursue the claim in light of your potential recovery. Good luck.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics