Can I sue for my engagement ring if my ex refuses to return it in Minnesota?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Apple Valley, MN

She decided to end the relationship and won't return the ring

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Engagement rings are considered gifts under the law of Minnesota. Therefore once you give her the ring, it is no longer your property. I litigate this issue quite frequently in divorce cases and generally judges have let the woman keep the ring. So although you can attempt to sue for return of the ring, you may be unsuccessful.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Same answers in other thread.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes. Whether you'll win or not is another question...

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,820 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,820 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering