Can I sue for more?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Kissimmee, FL

Was on my way to school, when a car made an illegal turn and hit me.I had seen the car coming so I stoped 3ft from the road.my pelvis was shadered my fimer was broken and I had massive internal bleeding it would have killed me if I didn't have my back pack braking my fall. At the time I just joined the navy. He was from Georgia at the time. Now my lawyer said I cant sue him for any more then what his insurance is paying me(20000) but is that possible bc he made me crippled as well as ruined my career can i sue for more?

1. David H. Burns

Pro

7

1

Answered . So long as you have not already settled and signed a Release, you can suit the at-fault driver (and if the incident occurred in Florida, the owner if the owner is different from the driver) for damages in excess of the insurance policy limits. However, whether you should or not will depend on whether the driver (and owner if different from driver) have any significant assets from which to collect a judgment. I assume your lawyer has done asset investigations on the potentially liable parties and is advising that you settle for the insurance limits. You should schedule an appointment with your attorney and discuss these issues in full until you are comfortable as to how to proceed.

2. George Costas Andriotis

7

Answered . If you have already accepted the maximum policy limits fro the insurance company and signed a Release it is not likely. If not than you may. Get a lawyer to review your documents and records.

3. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

4

Answered . You need, or your lawyer needs to investigate other potential sources of recovery. These might include:
    Personal assets of the driver;
    Personal assets of the owner of the vehicle;
    Whether the driver was completing an errand for someone else, and if so whether that other person has assets or insurance;
    Whether you have underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage either because you purchased it or because it is implied by law.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . Did you purchase under insurance on your auto policy?

5. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

3

Answered . Good golly Miss Molly.
    You need to consult with another lawyer immediately.
    That's all I need or want to say.
    You can call me at 855-FLALAWNOW
    www.flalawnow.com

6. David Irving Shiner

Pro

3

Answered . First, I am sorry to hear about your injuries. That said, usually most attorneys will advise you to resolve your case within the policy limits if this is applicable. However in your case, is there uninsured motorist coverage? This is a very important question you need to ask your attorney. In addition please make sure that the unruptured motorist coverage application is filled out properly and complies with Florida law.

7. Mohamed E Seifeldein

4

1

Answered . Hi,

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. Your lawyer got you the maximum insurance policy. You may sue for more. However, you will have to sue the driver if the insurance paid the full amount and you released them from liability. The question is, does the other driver have enough money to pay you out of pocket and assets. Otherwise, you may just have a judgment. Suing will cost money and not many lawyer will take the case if there is no prospect of money coming from the case. Speak with your lawyer and ask for other options.

Pro

4

1

Answered . If you didn't sign a release, then you can retain a personal injury lawyer who can take this to trial.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  9. Richard H. Wooster

1

Answered . Your lawyer may be telling you he only has $20,000 in insurance coverage and no other assets. You can sue for more, but there may be no assets to collect against, so you would be investing good money to get no result. Although judgments last for many years and you may collect if the person ever starts earning money and don't bankrupt out your judgment.