Can I sue for mental anguish? Note: my psychiatrist diagnosed me with being "passive suicidal"

Asked over 1 year ago - Perth Amboy, NJ

I recently miscarried a child. Seeing a psychiatrist/therapist because it was an unplanned pregnancy. Now my boss knew about the miscarriage and about my menatl instability. A week after my miscarriage, he [my boss] and I got into a heated arguement about my habitual lateness at work which I was unaware of due to my personal issue with the pregnancy. He claimed for 8 weeks I was arriving late to work so I asked him to prove it to me. As he opened up a file on his computer, I blurted out (in anger) that I apologize for my lateness but that its been a rough 13 weeks and that I just recently miscarried. He then indirectly called me a liar about the miscarriage. As I left the office I mumble "f*** you" for not having any compassion about my condition physically and mentally.

1. Christopher D. Ferrara

Pro

2

Answered . I do not believe based on the information provided that you have the basis for a viable lawsuit.

2. Norman Antonio Stiteler

1

Answered . I am sorry for the loss you have had. Please take care of yourself and grow strong.

Unfortunately, for you to sue you have to 1) have suffered some damage, or 2) your boss has to have violated some right, and I am not certain that you can demonstrate either. From what you write, your boss and you were in an argument about your lateness (not actionable in itself), then, during the course of this argument, you tell him you had a miscarriage.

You were already under psychiatric care, so not damage there. You are (apparently) still working, so no damage there, and (quite frankly) you then used some hard language he overheard, so he might even have cause for terminating you.

I just don't see a cause of action. Still, I am not licensed in New Jersey, so a local labor attorney might give you a different answer. I suggest thinking it over and if you are still upset, go to an attorney and outline your facts.

3. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

Answered . There is something magical in the words f**k you that will pretty much guarantee you will be fired. How can you sue after that?