CAN I SUE FOR MEDICAL BILLS AND PAIN AND SUFFERING

Asked over 1 year ago - Powhatan, VA

MY EX BOYFRIEND IS NOW IN JAIL AND HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY FOR FIGHTING ME IN A PUBLIC PLACE ( HOSPITAL ) . I WANT T SUE HIM FOR MY MEDICAL BILLS AND FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING . HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS AND IS WORTH IT IN THE END ?

1. Peter Anthony Jabaly

Pro

6

Answered . I absolutely recommend you speak with an attorney. Assault and battery are crimes, but you may also recover from your boyfriend in a civil action against him. Don't delay in speaking with an attorney, either myself or one of my colleagues.

2. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . While you have a legal right to sue for your injuries and related general and possibly punative sustained as a result of a battery it is often very difficult to collect on a judgment. This is because insurance policies generally exclude intentional acts leaving the injured party attempting to collect from the assets of at fault party. If it is not likely that there are sufficient assets to pursue for any potential award for pain & suffering then you should attempt court restitution depending on the laws in your state - I am a California attorney & unaware of your state laws & court procedures. You should consult with a local personal injury attorney. Best wishes

3. David B Pittman

Pro

5

Answered . Tough situation. You always have the right to sue him in small claims court. Also, part of his criminal prosecution may involve restitution to your for medical expenses. Lastly, contact victims assistance in your area and see if they have any resources available to assist you. Best of luck to you and I am sorry for your troubles.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

4

Answered . In the end, unless he has money and assets that you can find, you may never collect the judgment you get against him. Judgments are good for along time, ansd can be renewed, but are you really going to chase him for the next 10-20 years?

Talk to a local lawyer who can review everything for you.

Pro

2

Answered . If he doesn't have money, it would be tough to get blood from a stone.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com