Skip to main content

Can I sue for libel and/or slander?

Brentwood, NY |

I am being divorced by my wife of 33 years. She has finally admitted to our adult sons that she has been unfaithful in the past, and she is living with her current lover now for about a year. As a result of her adultery, I have HPV. I have never, ever been unfaithful to her. She has told my sons that I abused her, physically, emotionally, and sexually. I have reason to believe that she has said the same to mutual friends and also posted these false allegations on facebook. This could destroy my reputation. What can be done to stop this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may have to address the claims within the divorce case. I am not sure about this. I suggest you speak with your lawyer.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You may want to discuss this with a personal injury attorney if she gave you HPV and a slander and libel attorney if you suffered a credible loss of reputation and income.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.


This may be best resolved within the context of the divorce, or it may be that it is best handled separately, especially as to the HPV. I would, in the first instance, consult your divorce lawyer.

No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally consulting with Attorney Kerrigan and Attorney Kerrigan consulting personally with you regarding your specific legal situation.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer