Can I sue for emotional distress?

I decided to represent myself for a real estate purchase. During the process, Seller's attorney harassed me by insulting my intelligence and writing abusive email to me referring to me as a prick. The whole process has stretched over months due to seller not performing in good faith. This whole process has caused me much anxiety and emotional distress in both my work life and family. I have emails sent by seller's attorney to me. Do I have any grounds for suing the seller's attorney for emotional distress?

Brooklyn, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

No. However, if you have emails from a lawyer calling you a prick in the context of a legal matter you should consider filing a complaint against the lawyer with the Grievance Committee.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

You may have grounds. Need to prove damages as well as causation between the insults and your injury. I suggest that you speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your situation. Also I suggest you follow the advice of the other responders.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

That damage element attaches to a tort case, not a contract dispute.

Related Advice