Can I sue for emotional distress?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I decided to represent myself for a real estate purchase. During the process, Seller's attorney harassed me by insulting my intelligence and writing abusive email to me referring to me as a prick. The whole process has stretched over months due to seller not performing in good faith. This whole process has caused me much anxiety and emotional distress in both my work life and family.

I have emails sent by seller's attorney to me. Do I have any grounds for suing the seller's attorney for emotional distress?

1. That damage element attaches to a tort case, not a contract dispute.

2. No. However, if you have emails from a lawyer calling you a prick in the context of a legal matter you should consider filing a complaint against the lawyer with the Grievance Committee.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. You may have grounds. Need to prove damages as well as causation between the insults and your injury. I suggest that you speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your situation. Also I suggest you follow the advice of the other responders.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.