Can I sue for emotional abuse?

Lawrenceville, GA |

Growing up, my father was very emotionally abusive. This led to many health issues that have left me without a job and the ability to work now and for the past 2 years. Not only do I have outstanding medical bills, but he has stripped me of a quality life for the past 2 years. I am looking to get back on my feet now and am wondering if it is possible to sue him for all of this.

Although we lack detailed facts, such suits are rare (and hard to win), partly because Georgia law discourages them. While you certainly may wish to sit down with a lawyer if your case involved exceptional cruelty, nothing in your post tells me that there is a cause of action. Again, give a lawyer more details.

Here is how the Georgia Court of Appeals ruled in TURNAGE v. KASPER (in 2010):
"  To prevail on her claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress, Kasper was required to prove that the Appellants engaged in intentional or reckless conduct of an extreme and outrageous nature that caused her severe emotional distress.  This conduct must “be of such serious import as to naturally give rise to such intense feelings of humiliation, embarrassment, fright or extreme outrage as to cause severe emotional distress.”  Put another way, a case of intentional infliction of emotional distress is one where, generally speaking, “the recitation of the facts to an average member of the community would arouse his resentment against the actor, and lead him to exclaim, ‘Outrageous!’ ”

Another issue I can't address due to limited information in the post are you past the time deadline to pursue a claim.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

No. Or, more accurately, you can sue, but you'll lose.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. The real question isn't "can I sue", but "will I win if I sue". The answer, in your case, is that you likely would not be successful. This is only because civil suits for emotional abuse are difficult.

That being said, only you know what evidence you have to support your claim. If you think you have enough and want to pursue it, you would need to contact an attorney.

Though your complaint is against your father, this is NOT a family law issue. You need to contact a general litigation attorney.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Recommended articles about Personal injury