Skip to main content

Can I sue for depression/suicide attempt following trauma from a rollover car accident? Where would this type this fall under?

Sacramento, CA |

I was the passenger, driver isn't at fault. The other was. I broke my c-7 and suffering with 3 bulging disc and a couple down my back , and PTSD flashbacks, sprained ankle and left hand have resolved but i tried to commit nearly fatal suicide attempt. This happened in Sicily where my husband is stationed. I'm currently back in states for care.

Also may I sue both driver and driver at fault?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You would (and should if you haven't already) be seen by a competent mental health professional who would be willing to provide an opinion that any head trauma you may have suffered could cause these symptoms. Your cervical fractures alone are significant injuries as well. You should retain an attorney immediately to begin looking in to all these issues and to determine insurance coverage limits.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

  2. Welcome back. Normally, you can sue the driver of the at fault car. If that driver does not have insurance another inquiry would be to your own insurance Uninsured/Underinsured provisions, if not much money there a PI attorney may then sue your own driver if he has insurance. However, you threw a monkey wrench in that this accident happened in Sicily, Italy. If the accident happened on base, the US laws will apply. However, if it happened in Italian soil, the laws of Italy would apply and you may have to hire a PI attorney in Italy.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  3. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In California, you may recover monetary compensation for pain and suffering and emotional distress on top of your medical expenses. However, since this happened in Italy, I agree with Attorney Juarez that you would need to hire a personal injury attorney in Italy. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck on your recovery.

    Disclaimer: This reply is not intended to be and does not constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. I always recommend consulting with an attorney, especially since many attorneys offer free, no-obligation consultations.

  4. I also want to welcome you back to the U.S. and thank your husband (and you) for service to our Country.

    I need a little clarification on your post: which events happened in Italy? Was it the crash or the suicide attempt or both?

    If you are a potential client, the information you disclose to us by email will be kept in strict confidence and will be protected to the full extent of the law. Please be advised, however, that the Law Offices of Frank M. Nunes, Inc. and its lawyers do not represent you until you have signed a retainer agreement with the firm. Until that time, you are responsible for any statutes of limitations or other deadlines for your case or potential case.

  5. It may be a long shot, but I suggest speaking with a local personal injury lawyer. 20 years ago I was involved in a trip and fall case which occurred in Italy. Because both parties were Americans, we were able to obtain a recovery for our client. There may be facts in your case which would allow you obtain a recovery even though the incident occurred in Sicily. regards,

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics