Can I sue for depression/suicide attempt following trauma from a rollover car accident? Where would this type this fall under?

I was the passenger, driver isn't at fault. The other was. I broke my c-7 and suffering with 3 bulging disc and a couple down my back , and PTSD flashbacks, sprained ankle and left hand have resolved but i tried to commit nearly fatal suicide attempt. This happened in Sicily where my husband is stationed. I'm currently back in states for care.

Sacramento, CA -

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

Welcome back. Normally, you can sue the driver of the at fault car. If that driver does not have insurance another inquiry would be to your own insurance Uninsured/Underinsured provisions, if not much money there a PI attorney may then sue your own driver if he has insurance. However, you threw a monkey wrench in that this accident happened in Sicily, Italy. If the accident happened on base, the US laws will apply. However, if it happened in Italian soil, the laws of Italy would apply and you may have to hire a PI attorney in Italy.

Linh Thiet Nguyen

Linh Thiet Nguyen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In California, you may recover monetary compensation for pain and suffering and emotional distress on top of your medical expenses. However, since this happened in Italy, I agree with Attorney Juarez that you would need to hire a personal injury attorney in Italy. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck on your recovery.

Steven Mark Sweat

Steven Mark Sweat

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Beverly Hills, CA

You would (and should if you haven't already) be seen by a competent mental health professional who would be willing to provide an opinion that any head trauma you may have suffered could cause these symptoms. Your cervical fractures alone are significant injuries as well. You should retain an attorney immediately to begin looking in to all these issues and to determine insurance coverage limits.

Frank Marvin Nunes

Frank Marvin Nunes

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fresno, CA

I also want to welcome you back to the U.S. and thank your husband (and you) for service to our Country.

I need a little clarification on your post: which events happened in Italy? Was it the crash or the suicide attempt or both?

Robert Max Klein

Robert Max Klein

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

It may be a long shot, but I suggest speaking with a local personal injury lawyer. 20 years ago I was involved in a trip and fall case which occurred in Italy. Because both parties were Americans, we were able to obtain a recovery for our client. There may be facts in your case which would allow you obtain a recovery even though the incident occurred in Sicily. regards,