Can I sue for defamation or Character or slader

Spencer, WV |

I am a parent that was speaking with a coach about a situation of one of his players said about me. I wanted to clarify what had taken place. He told me it had been taking care of. During the course of conversation I stated that the young girl is now 18 she really needs to watch what she says especially when she is dealing with adults. Someday she will meet her maker and that adult will take her out. Now I'm not one of those adults but someone might be out there. From that conversation to another player(her sister) over hearing parts of it in turn went home and told that I stated "she is 18 now I am going to talk to her" Her parents took it to the magistrate to file charges of harrassment on me and then went to the BOE to see what they could do to me.Can you help

Your main question asked if you could sue anyone. I don't see any grounds for that. As for the other parent's claim, I cannot state whether this one incident is sufficient to constitute harassment, but I would consult with a local criminal defense attorney about that. This should be a lesson in being careful in what you say. Although the sister heard only parts of your conversation and took it out of context, one could construe your comment as a threat. And should an adult be saying anything like that about a just-turned 18 yr. old? I am suspecting that nothing will come of this, but consult with an attorney to be safe.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.