Can I sue for defamation

Asked about 1 year ago - Dacula, GA

My replacement at work told the employees I did their performance evaluations before I left the job. One employee was given a poor evaluation. I did not write any of them but she told the employee I wrote it. It affected our relationship as she felt betrayed by me as a supervisor and a friend. Should I notify the Human Resources department? I also don't want to get the employee in trouble for telling me, so I am concern about retribution by the new supervisor,.

I am no longer employed there, so the concern I have is for the employee who told me about her evaluation and that she was told I completed it which I did not. My position was eliminated and I chose to leave instead of seeking another position. But I am disturbed that this new manager lied about me to the employee.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . These facts do not raise legal issues of defamation.

2. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

3

Answered . Clear the record with HR and your boss. There should be no retribution if you're being honest.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

2

Answered . BAsed on what you have written, there is no basis for a defamation action. Addtionally, if the person who got the poor evaluation and who was told you wrote it is a "good friend", then she should believe you when you tell her that it was not you who wrote the evaluation.

Pro

2

Answered . I don't see any facts supporting a defamation claim.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. David Thomas Dorer

Answered . Defamation is the publication of a false statement that is about or concerns the plaintiff.

There are two statements here: the "evaluation" and the supervisor saying to the former subordinate that "you wrote the evaluation."

The evaluation is considered libel because its in writing. Only your former subordinate can recover for that. The new supervisor's statement is consider slander because it's spoken. Slander requires proof of actual economic loss in order to recover. If this hasn't cost you money, I would say you have no claim.

6. David B Pittman

1

Answered . I don't see a legal case here,