Can I sue for being wrongfully arrested and imprisoned?

Asked about 1 year ago - Smethport, PA

I was arrested for breaking and entering a building and stealing precious metals. The law put me in a county jail for over a month and then after finding the real person who committed the crime they released me of all charges. I also lost $3,000 for a bail bondsman to get out of jail , a month of work, lost many clients as I am self employed with a scrap metal recycling business, and got behind on my child support payment.

1. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

4

Answered . Possibly but you need a civil rights attorney or even a attorney who handles negligence cases, more so than a criminal defense attorney. You will also need to provide much more information to them.

2. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

2

Answered . Please keep in mind that although the statute of limitations in PA is 2 years, the notice requirement to governmental agencies is 6 mths

3. Andrea E. Mertz

Pro

1

Answered . You should contact a lawyer who represents individuals in civil rights actions against police or government law enforcement. This question is not really a criminal defense question as much as it is a civil rights question. Good Luck.

4. Robert C. Keller

1

Answered . My colleagues have it right. Have a civil rights attorney review it and be mindful of the notice requirement. Good luck.

5. William Ray Pelger

1

Answered . agreed....