Can I sue for being falsely accused of molesting a child?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lafayette, LA

My wife's ex husband accused me of molesting their daughter. Multiple health professionals claimed not enough evidence. He dropped the case. Can I sue for costs of doctors and lawyers?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . State laws vary significantly, especially your state. However, many states protect accusers acting in good faith. Contact a lawyer in your state to discuss your potential claim.

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755
  2. Marc Sean Hurd

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Lassen, that it may not be a clear case. If the allegations are leveled within the confines of a court case, there may be immunities that apply. Also, given the awareness (rightfully so) of child abuse, there may be shield laws that protect those who report suspected abuse. Further still, if the "report" is couched in the form of an opinion, there may be additional protections for the accuser there. Generally speaking, defamation claims require a knowingly false statement "published" either orally or in written form, that causes damage. You should present all the facts to a local PI lawyer to assess your options.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it... more

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Personal injury and libel

Libel is the written or visual defamation of another person’s character. False statements can damage someone’s reputation, so it is a type of personal injury.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,548 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,548 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering