Can I sue for being exposed to hazard materials?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was doing some side work for someone at their office and they were doing remodeling. I believe I was exposed to hazard materials. It is hard for me to breathe and after doing some research I found that the materials they were working with are hazardous. Do I have any recourse against them?

1. Christopher Matthew Kennedy

11

Answered . First, seek a medical opinion as soon as possible and follow your doctor's advice. Next, contact an attorney to discuss the legal implications--depending on the circumstances, there may be a case, either a civil suit or workers comp. How long ago did this happen? Keep in mind the time to file a claim is limited. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss.
    Chris Kennedy
    847-295-0300

2. David J. McCormick

10

Answered . First you need to know what you breathed in. Second you need to have a medical doctor say that the exposure led to your current medical troubles. If you get that medical opinion then you should talk with a personal injury attorney.

3. Burton A. Padove

Pro

7

Answered . Possibly. You may even have a cause of action against the manufacturer, depending on the circumstances.

You should contact an attorney for a consultation.

4. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

7

Answered . YOu may have a workers' compensation case and/or a third party case against the third party, depending upon the facts. You also are dependent upon a doctor who can connect this exposure to your illness.

Definitely see a lawyer ASAP before doing anything else. This is a complex scenario and you need to have help unraveling it.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . Very difficult question to answer; very difficult case to prove; very difficult injury. There may be pre-emption issues, etc. Good luck.

Pro

6

Answered . If you sustained injuries, your first stop should be to the doctor who can diagnose you, then you can consult a toxic torts attorney.

7. David B Pittman

Pro

4

Answered . If you can get a doctor to document that the fumes you breathed in caused your illness, then I would contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP.