Skip to main content

Can I sue for back child support?

Albany, OR |

My son's father has long refused to pay his court ordered child support, to the point of moving state to state to avoid it. I went for enforcement, and yet even his license was already suspended, he still managed to get to Mexico with a passport for his honeymoon. He's currently over 20,000 in arrears, and recently married, and I want to know if I can sue him to recover this, or go for any assets he may own. It's been seven years now, and I'm tried of feeling like Im on my own with hunting him down. Can I do anything legally, and can I get a general idea of what kind of expense I'm looking at to pursue legal action?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You certainly are entitled to pursue support from him. How you can best go about it will depend on a few things:

First, is support enforcement being handled by the District Attorney's office, or not? In most cases, the Child Support Enforcement Division of the Department of Justice handles collection of child support. If his driver's license is suspended for non-payment, then that strongly implies that they're aware of this case already. If they're not collecting, that implies in turn that he doesn't have any money to pay. He's legally obligated to pay, and as long as he doesn't, arrears will continue to accrue; but if he has no money, then he has no money you can take.

That's the next question: what assets, if any, might he have? If he has a job, then you can garnish his wages; bank accounts can also be garnished. You can also place liens on any real property or other substantial assets that he owns. You need details on these assets to garnish, but he can be summoned for a judgment debtor exam before the court, to discover these details. Again, the DA normally conducts these, but you can also hire private counsel to try to speed the process along.

In general, you will not be able to pursue his new spouse for support. Oregon is not a 'community property' state, where all property owned by each spouse is assumed to be equally the property of the other. His new wife is not responsible for his support obligation. However, any property that they acquire jointly during the marriage - a house, for example - might be subject to seizure or garnishment.

Costs vary; most attorneys would want a retainer of at least a couple thousand dollars before taking on a case. But you may be able to recover these costs from the father as well - assuming again, of course, that he has any money to pay. You can call the Oregon State Bar for a free referral at 503-684-3763.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:



That all makes sense, I was just wondering because it is an interstate case. It was originally started in Maryland where we lived, and I moved to Vancouver and then Oregon where I am now. He now lives in Virginia, and I've been working with the local CS enforcement office meanwhile doing my own legwork on the side. The thing that bothers me the most is that he actively ignores the order, and tells his family that I'm lying. He even goes as far as not getting anything in his name, just so there are no claims on it. Is that legal? What can I do since I KNOW that he's doing that? Thanks for the help.

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin


You may need to talk to a Virginia lawyer about this, in order to pursue a claim there. If he's holding property which is in another person's name, just to avoid collections, then that might be a kind of fraud, but this would be subject to Virginia law.



Thank you very much!

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer