Skip to main content

Can I sue for anonymous libel, received through U.S. Post, that was submitted as a complaint to the Acupuncture Board?

Los Angeles, CA |

Is there any way that I can sue for defamation and libel? I'm positive I know who reported me, how ever it was submitted as anonymous. I don't have actual proof, is it possible to investigate the anonymous person and have them brought into court? This person lied about my unsanitary business practices. I believe it was a former employee of mine I recently let go.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Best bet is to put it behind you, and clean up the place.


Best bet is to hire an investigator and ascertain who defamed you. WIthout a party to sue , all you are going to be doing is spending your money. Also, the truth is a defense to a lawsuit for defamation. Get your proof before you accuse anyone of doing something unlawful. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Mr. Lassen has been his usual, reasoned self on this one.


Complaints to CA state licensing agencies are almost never a sound basis for defamation actions. The right to complain is explicitly protected by statute and state regulations, and as a licensee you have no damages. Being investigated by your licensing agency does not constitute damages as investigation by the state is always a potential for all licensees.

The state will not cooperate in any efforts at retaliatory action against the complainant. But there's more: Be very careful in what retaliatory measures you attempt against the complainant or suspected complainant lest you get your license in the agency's cross-hairs for improper conduct not limited to the complainant's allegations. Your Board will take a very narrow and harsh view of any conduct designed to intimidate a complainant or to compel an outcome not based on the state's independent investigation. You are swimming in deep and dangerous waters; don't make a bad situation worse. Fighting a license revocation action based on allegations of improper and unethical licensee conduct is expensive, lengthy, and high risk.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer