Can I sue for anonymous libel, received through U.S. Post, that was submitted as a complaint to the Acupuncture Board?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Is there any way that I can sue for defamation and libel? I'm positive I know who reported me, how ever it was submitted as anonymous. I don't have actual proof, is it possible to investigate the anonymous person and have them brought into court? This person lied about my unsanitary business practices. I believe it was a former employee of mine I recently let go.

Pro

6

Answered . Best bet is to put it behind you, and clean up the place.

2. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

4

Answered . Mr. Lassen has been his usual, reasoned self on this one.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . Complaints to CA state licensing agencies are almost never a sound basis for defamation actions. The right to complain is explicitly protected by statute and state regulations, and as a licensee you have no damages. Being investigated by your licensing agency does not constitute damages as investigation by the state is always a potential for all licensees.

The state will not cooperate in any efforts at retaliatory action against the complainant. But there's more: Be very careful in what retaliatory measures you attempt against the complainant or suspected complainant lest you get your license in the agency's cross-hairs for improper conduct not limited to the complainant's allegations. Your Board will take a very narrow and harsh view of any conduct designed to intimidate a complainant or to compel an outcome not based on the state's independent investigation. You are swimming in deep and dangerous waters; don't make a bad situation worse. Fighting a license revocation action based on allegations of improper and unethical licensee conduct is expensive, lengthy, and high risk.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . Best bet is to hire an investigator and ascertain who defamed you. WIthout a party to sue , all you are going to be doing is spending your money. Also, the truth is a defense to a lawsuit for defamation. Get your proof before you accuse anyone of doing something unlawful. Best of luck.