Skip to main content

Can I sue for a wrongful death against a company..

Spokane, WA |

My grandma tripped over a team vac that was not put back where it belonged and she cracked her pelvic and was in the hospital for a few days and did PT and just continued to go down hill from there she died April 10..This was a 86 yr old woman who still worked full time out at fairchild airforce bace until the accident..She suffered awfually...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Since it appears that your grandmother suffered her injuries while at work, the Washington State version of worker's compensation law would apply and you would be well served by first reviewing the case with a worker's comp attorney. However, without knowing the actual cause of her death, it seems somewhat problematic to link her passing with this injury. I recommend that you come to the consultation with an attorney armed with the death certificate and as complete a set of Grandma's medical records as possible.

This communication is not legal advice: no documents or facts were examined. This does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. The above is a common sense response to the limited question facts you provided.


The causation between her passing from the fall may be tough to prove, but you should search Avvo for a wrongful death attorney in your city, and call for a free consultation to discuss all the facts and circumstances.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.


I am very sorry to hear this. You should retain an experienced attomey in your area to review the case. The attorney will advise you on the wrongful death law in your state and evaluate your chance of success as well as evaluate the recoverable damages. You can find an experienced personal injury attorney on Good luck to you.


probably not. however you need to contact a reputable WA lawyer in your area because wrongful death laws vary from state to state. there are issues that might prevent you from suing for your grandma's death: in many states a grandchild would not be the one to be able to bring the suit and there has to be what is called a causal nexus between the negligent act and the death. the best source to find a trustworthy lawyer is word of mouth. also the WA trial lawyers association would have a listing as well as the local county bar association. be wary of any lawyer that wants you to pay a "retainer or fee" to investigate or research the law - an experienced lawyer in WA law will readily know the answer. good luck and i am sorry for this traumatic situation.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer