Skip to main content

Can I sue for a HIPAA violation?

Olympia, WA |

. I have placed a complaint to the director/manager of PacLab for a HIPAA violation. There is now an internal criminal investigation taking place on a certain individual to see how much and often she accessed my personal file (she also released my lab results to a former mutual friend). She is a lady whom I do not get along with and have previously attempted to place a restraining order against, which was not approved by the judge two years ago. I was informed that I should have an answer by the end of business today on the result of the investigation. If, by chance, there was a HIPPA violation, what steps do I take from here? Thank you for your assistance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


HIPAA does not provide for lawsuits by private persons to enforce its provisions or to sue for remedies for breaches.

It may be that there are other causes of action (bases for suit) that could be utilized to enable suit in lieu of HIPAA. You should consult with a local civil rights attorney to make that determination.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer