Can I sue Financial Aid office at my college for the office failure?

Asked 6 months ago - New York, NY

Even though I submitted all the necessary paperwork for Student Loan (E-Fap, MPN, Entrance Counceling), my loan was never created by Financial Aid office at my college and was never sent to the Federal Government. As a result I am not receiving $12,500 loan. I have a 5 weeks daughter at home and an unemployed wife. The well-being of my child depends on that money that I was legally entitled to.
Assistant Director at my college`s Fin Aid office verbally admitted to me that I was a victim of their OFFICE`S FAILURE.

Can I press charges against the office? What are my chances of winning and what can I possibly get?

1. Ryan G. Blanch

Pro

Answered . I think that a "student loan" is different from a "personal loan" so in all likelihood you will not succeed in a civil suit. You mentioned nothing about how your education is negatively impacted by the oversight. But most importantly it seems like it was an honest mistake so there's not much that you would recover even under the best of circumstances.