Skip to main content

Can I sue Fannie Mae?

Seattle, WA |

I signed for a condo which had been repossessed by Fannie Mae. The previous owner had unpaided condo fees which are the responsibility of Fannie Mae (the current owner) to pay.
Now registering the closing has been delayed almost a week because Fannie Mae is balking at paying the fees to the condo association. There is no end date in sight for resolution of their conflict.

Since Fannie contracted to sell the property to me by a given date, can I sue them for breach of contract?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The answer will depend on the language in your purchase and sale agreement. Specific performance, is a remedy that will force them to do what they agreed to do. Rescission would be you get your earnest money back. Which you remendy could sue for will depend on the agreement.
You would be well served to see a eal estate lawyer in Seattle and find out what your remedies are as the buyer.


Yes, depending on the terms of the contract you signed governing the purchase transaction. However, you might try to contact the escrow company to see if Fannie Mae will agree to close the transaction and keep the amount of the claimed condo fees in escrow pending resolution.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer