Can I sue fafsa for choosing me for verification three times in a row?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Education law

I have been going to Pace University for three years now and all three years I am chosen for verification. I believe the process can not be random if I am chosen three times in a row.

This is not grounds for a lawsuit.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

I agree with Christine. I suppose it could possibly be grounds for a lawsuit, but the possibility is exceedingly remote. As a hypothetical, if you could somehow show you were selected for verification based on your race or gender, perhaps you might have better luck with a suit. However, the mere fact you have been selected for verification three years in a row is unlikely to be grounds for a suit.

I don't know how fafsa verifications are selected (e.g. the statistics and probabilities involved), but it does seem unusual/unlucky/annoying for you to have been selected three times in a row. However, not every unlucky or annoying thing that occurs is grounds for a lawsuit. For better or worse, lawsuits have to be based on some type of cognizable right. What you've described doesn't rise to that level. Sorry.

The answer provided above is based upon California and/or New York law and is based solely upon the limited information provided by the poster. No attorney-client relationship is created. A future in-person consultation may reveal additional facts that may change the answer provided.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law