Can I sue Everest College for Misleading Information..

Alhambra, CA |

It was the first week of January, in the year of 2013, when I decided to check out Everest College in Alhambra, California. There, I met with Teo, a pushy admissions representative. That day, he explained the roles of a Medical Assistant, and told me about the position’s average salary and how much income the position initially makes.

Because I was yet to acquire a degree, I was eager to start school. I know that the recruiters of Everest College work off of a quota, so I feel he sensed I was an easy sale.

He stated many qualifications that I didn't end up qualifying for (because the school really doesn't offer it)

1. CNA (certified nursing assistant) –
a. Teo stated that after the program, I would be eligible to take the state board exam to be a Certified Nurse's Assistant.

2. Medical Assistant's Salary – a. I have stated to Teo many times, I am looking for a job with a starting salary range of 13-19 dollars an hour. And he stated that statistically their new grads were making 13-16 dollars an hour as their starting salary. Which is completely false. Below, I have provided you with a list to show simples of job listings on craigslist under the section “healthcare jobs”. Here you will find a 9-10 dollar per hour starting pay, and sometimes even $8!

You can use Google to identify current litigations against this school. There are multiple actions in progress and likely others that are pending. If you reach out to the attorneys that are handling those cases for plaintiffs, you may find that one or more of the lawyers or law firms is interested in your experiences with the school. You may even find that a current or pending case can be expanded to include your allegations.

The facts you have offered here are far far short of what would be required to prove your claim. But there may be facts that can be developed that would establish your cause of action. Talk with a litigator with specific experience against this school.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Ms. McCall is a wonderful person and her answers are always spot on, take her advice and good luck. I agree with her.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

My question for you would be what are your damages? How were you harmed finacially. You may want to see an attorney or proceed in small claims.