Can I sue employer for causing stress and defamation of character?

Asked 10 months ago - Starkville, MS

I am approved for FMLA due to childbirth. I am now accused of abusing the system by employer for doing exactly what they(employer) asked me to provide/do. We have been working 7 days a week since the Fourth of July 2013, only one day off(Labor Day). Now I am going from 8 hr shift at work to 12 hr. There are over 100+ employees but only maybe 3 of us have to work the 12 hours. I have a sick child that needs my care and I feel my job is causing more stress and depression than needed. I feel I am being accused of something I did not do and discriminated against. Can I sue my employer?

Pro

4

Answered . More facts are needed to evaluate. Have a local employment lawyer investigate

2. Philip Anthony Fabiano

4

Answered . As Attorney Lasson indicates more facts are necessary to evaluate this potential claim. However just based on the facts you do provide the answer is no. Typically you cannot bring a claim against your employer for a "work related" injury except for a workers compensation claim where your damages are limited to medical expenses and a portion of your wages. If you have a claim outside a workers compensation claim, more facts are needed to evaluate such a claim. If you have for instance some employment discrimination or related claim then you should consult with an attorney who handles such claims.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . More information is needed to give a meaningful answer. Retain a local employment law attorney to investigate.