Can i sue dcf for my child falling down stairs in her foster home??

Fall River, MA |

I had a visit with my daughter today and was informed that my 18month old had fallen down a flight of stairs in her foster home...when i asked where the foster mother was i got no answer but if it was me i would have a 51a filed against me in a heartbeat

1. Was your daughter injured? No claim absent that. And nothing in your question reveals evidence of negligence other than possible lack of supervision. Was that the case? Not every accident results from negligence. Obviously, DCF is aware so I'd keep pressing the issue with it until you get answers. IF there is negligence plus injury, there would be claim against foster parents. DCF's responsibility would be more difficult to show in my view, and there is a specific procedure to follow in order to make a claim against it. You will need a lawyer's help. But again, absent negligence AND injury, no claim.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.