Can i sue coworkers for mental anguish, stress and depresion?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rio Grande City, TX

on monday 11/14/11 i was placed on suspension without pay becasue a coworker and the supervisor aquised me of putting my hands on coworkers shoulders and turning her so fast tha she hurt her arm and back. i have 2 witnesses that were in the room at the time of the incident and they made statements that it did not happen as they say it did.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Employee disputes are rarely successfully sued on for tort causes of action as you propose. You don't have the kind of claim against co-wprkers that will cause any attorney to take the matter on contingency, and you cannot afford to bring such a lawsuit by funding it out of your own pocket. It sounds like a misunderstanding and hopefully your employer will be able to resolve it peacefully. In any event, you can't sue someone for causing you stress unless they were under a legal obligation or duty not to cause you stress. That is not ordinarily the case with respect to co-workers. Further, "it did not happen as they say it did" strongly suggests that something happened, that the co-wprkers are not making this up out of whole cloth maliciously, and that means there is not good grounds for any defamation action. There is no meaningful legal remedy for the unpleasantness of all this. Make it your objective to hold onto your job and to simply get through and past this matter.