Can I sue because of bullying?

Asked 6 months ago - 35121

I was harshly sexually harassed and bullied in high school. That was about four years ago. The administrators knew, and did not handle it adequately. Who should I sue? Can I sue for a large amount of money? The principal in this situation has retired and the assistant has taken the principal role. Should I sue the administrators, The Board of Education, or who? How do I prepare?

1. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

2

Answered . You have probably waited to long. Check the Statute of Limitations in your State on Bullying. You probably had to bring this when you were 19.

2. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like a lot was going on here and there needs to be a discussion in greater detail regarding the particular facts in your case. It also depends on what state this occurred in because limitation periods depend on the laws of each particular state. Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in education law. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. Good luck!

3. Golnar Sargeant

1

Answered . It is highly likely the statute of limitations has passed--check with a local attorney. For a successful lawsuit, you need damages--you need to prove to the court monetary damages, or there is nothing for the court to award/do. Based on what you present, I do not think there would be "a large amount of money" you can sue for any amount you want, but getting it is another story. Consult a local personal injury/sexual harassment lawyer.